France: market data & wholesale drinks
Almost 8 out of 10 meals are consumed on the go
- Considering Out-Of-Home Consumption, Counter Sales (CS) Generates most of the turnover compared to Table Service (TS) : nearly 8 out of 10 meals are consumed on the go (see details in appendices)
- The same products are sold in a multitude of establishments: more than 450000 beverages points of sale (excluding food retail and supermarkets)
Beverages in Out-Of-Home Consumption : a fast-growing market subject to intense competition
- Food purchases (incl. drinks) in OOH Consumption : 27,2 billions €ex Tax in 2018 (from : Gira Food Service 2018)
- Wholesalers : 66,7%
- Cash & carry : 12,6%
- Direct market : 9,1%
- Logistic supplier : 7,2%
- Retail : 4,3%
=> Beverages purchases : 9 billions € ex Tax, incl. 8,1 billions € ex Tax for cold drinks
- Beverages Wholesale (cold & hot) : % market share
- Food Wholesalers : 8,7%
- Beverage Wholesalers : 47,5%
- Direct Sales : 21,65%
- Retail : 5,05%
- Cash & Carry : 11,5%
- Others : 5,6%
=> Part of wholesalers per beverage category :
- Beers : 89% Water : 49,5%
- Non Alcoholic Beverages : 39% Fruit Juices : 57,5%
- Syrups : 74% Spirits : 34,5%
- Wine : 18% Champagne : 8,5%
Beverages sold in OOH Point of Sales come in different packaging :
- Reusable and returnable packaging (glass and kegs)
- more than 490 million glass bottles ; more than 17 million beer kegs:
- more than 70% of packaging sold in these Point Of Sales : equiv. 460 000 t of packaging treatment savings per year
Kegs Glass Bottles
Average lifetime : 15 years
Reused 4 times/year, with maintenance
More than 17 million units sold every year
(mainly Beers, water, Non Alcoholic Beverages)
Average lifetime : 3 years
Reused 4 times./year, (till 15 cycles/ bottle)More than 490 million units sold every year
- One way recyclable packaging (glass, PET, cardboard, can)
- more than 815 million of glass bottles (360 000 tons) ;
- more than 3 billion of PET Bottles (68 000 tons) ;
- 1,6 billion of cans (24 000 tons)
Beverages Wholesalers : Key figures
Food, Drinks and Tobacco Wholesale: more than 17000 companies, 125 000 employees (Full Time Equivalent)
=> Including Beverage Wholesalers: more than 3000 companies, 25 000 employees (Full Time Equivalent)
=> Including independent wholesalers: more than 500 companies, 10 000 employees
Since 2013, an innovative service is proposed to HORECA customers: Glass (bottle) collection, with glass crusher service or with boxes.
- Glass bottles collection is realized at the same time as beverages delivery. Glass is sent from wholesalers warehouses to recycling centers through optimized routes.
Since 2016, companies offering this service and other distinguishing activities can get a label for their Sustainable Approach.
- In 2013, FNB initiated a wholesales specific Sustainable Development Chart. It led to the «Sustainable Development Label», operational recognition of the Chart.
- The Label allows beverage wholesalers who want to participate in a sustainable development approach to promote their Social&Environmental Responsibility and their commitments in favor of employment and local commerce.
- The label is designed first and foremost as a real help and support tool : it is based on a frame of reference inspired by the ISO 26000 standard and adapted to the Beverage Wholesale business specificities.
- In order to verify and certify the correct implementation of these axes of advance within companies, annual audits are carried out by Ecocert Environment : it guarantees the value of the label and the reliability of the audit in accordance with the reference system of requirements.
For More Information www.fnb-info.fr/nos-engagements-rse